[Sca-cooks] Food Origins

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu May 23 07:11:37 PDT 2002

Didn't we just discuss moose and elk fairly recently?

IIRC (having just skimmed a very long and silly thread on the subject in
the November archives) our moose and elk started out as Alces alces and
Cervus elaphus and could still probably interbreed with their Old World
relations, but are now considered different subspieces, to wit,
Alces alces americana and Cervus elaphus canadiensis. Over there, what
we call moose are called elk, and what we call elk are called red deer,
and what we call whitetail are New World.

So if I really felt like spending huge amounts of money for 12th Night, I
could serve a roasted elk and it would be a reasonable facsimile of a
period meat.

Oh, yeah, I'm doing our Barony's 12th Night feast, and it's all
Adamantius's fault.

Margaret