[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation (was Drive up ATM's OT,OOP (was Languages)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 23 10:08:59 PDT 2002

Also sprach Philippa Alderton:
>--- Selene skrev:
>
>>  My freshman chemistry TA at UCLA was English,
>>  educated at Oxford.  He got
>>  tired of the teasing about his pronunciations and
>>  shot back, "While your
>>  ancestors were painting themselves and killing
>>  buffalo, my ancestors were
>>  discovering al-you-min-ium and mee-thane."
>
>The obvious answer to that would be, "Funny. I was
>under the distinct impression that MY ancestors were
>busy building a new country and kicking Your
>ancestors' overbearing tails out of the New World."
>
>Phlip, nah, not an American, or proud of it.....

I don' know about the rest of that stuff, Mizzy Phlip, but...

... if his ancestors discovered Aluminum, they would be French.  If
they isolated and produced the first pure metallic samples of it,
they would be Dutch and German, and if they first manufactured and
promoted its use as an industrial material, rather than a
semi-precious oddity, they would be American. Only if they
experimented with it unsuccessfully, decided to change its name to
comply with some other metal names in the developing periodic table
(as well as to not comply with the names of many other metals),
pretended to be lead this particular field of endeavor, and
consequently were ignored by the chemists of the rest of the world,
would they be English.

The people of the U.K. have made quite a lot of brilliant
discoveries. This wasn't one of them.

Adamantius