[Sca-cooks] Good Tyde Eve

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 23 15:28:08 PDT 2002

OED says this--
c. of a day or season observed as holy by the church.

good tide:
a. Christmas;
b. Shrove Tuesday. Cf. Good Friday.

C. 1420 Liber Cocorum 37 Fro Martyn messe to gode tyde evyne.

1547 Salesbury Welsh Dict., Ynyd..shrovetide, Good tyde.

1620 Frier Rush 10 Vpon a good night, all the whole Convent assembled
together in the Quier.
1820 Wilbraham Chesh. Gloss., Guttit..Shrovetide.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway
"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:>
> Thanks. The recipe says the salted pork or goose will keep from Martinmas
> (Sept. 29th, IIRC) to Good tyde eve. So it isn't a general Sunday.> Cindy

Another -
As you know, sometimes holy days turn up in recipes as measurements of
time.  I've come across one I can't verify.  Can anyone verify that Gode
Tyde Evyne (Good Tide Eve) is Christmas Eve?
Cindy