[Sca-cooks] Pronunciation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 24 04:09:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach Jane Williams:
>I'm about 50 miles north of London. Generic
>southern English accent, like a slightly slovenly
>version of BBC English. I *hope* I've got rid of the
>Lutonian accent I had as a kid (that involves
>replacing most consonants with a glottal stop, and is
>more or less unintelligible).

I am reminded of the time I attended a Commons meeting at a (now
defunct) bookshop in Manhattan called Rivendell. Attending was a
quite striking-looking young lady from the then [sub-principality?]
of Insula Draconis, back when Drachenwald was part of the East... and
this lady talked _exactly_ like Boris Karloff. Not just the accent,
but the sonorous and sepulchral intonations (I speak as one who knows
about these things.)

It turned out that she was from the next village but one from the
birthplace of William Henry Pratt, and everybody talked that way...

Adamantius