[Sca-cooks] broccoli and cauliflower

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Mon May 27 04:24:26 PDT 2002

I wrote:
>I'm confused. All those 16th century Flemish
> kitchen/veggie girl paintings with cauliflower's
> recognizably in the painting - these are plants that look
> like our modern ones, but are of a different genus or something?

Daniel answered:
> Can you point me to some of the paintings?  I'd love to have
> things proven (to me) one way or the other.

Well, I only bookmarked three paintings, since I was looking at the garb a
dear friend was making for me (so I could NOT be forced into Elizabethan!),
and not all three show cauliflower specifically. But since they do show
food, here they are:

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/a/aertsen/cook.jpg

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/a/aertsen/marketst.jpg
Note cauliflower next to her hand - and are those waffles beside her?

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/b/beuckela/cook.jpg

Rosine