[Sca-cooks] broccoli and cauliflower

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 27 13:20:20 PDT 2002

The Museum of Art in Cleveland did an exhibition
in 1999 entitled:
Still Life Paintings from The Netherlands. My
husband and son referred to it as "food on plates"
and thought it was really a waste of a day to drive
4 hours down to see it.

see http://www.clevelandart.org/exhibit/stillife/index.html

The catalog is still worth getting.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

Daniel Myers wrote: snipped>
> <hangs head in embarrassment>>
> I just came across this very same picture -
> That definitely is a cauliflower. snipped
> Still no broccoli, but with the variability of Brassicas and the existence
> of fully developed cauliflower, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was
> there (or came soon thereafter).>
> I've always thought still-life paintings were silly and boring.  Now it
> would seem the imp of the perverse has struck again and I'll wind up
> eagerly looking at medieval paintings of fruit and vegetables - much to the
> annoyance and disbelief of my children, I'm sure.
  Edouard Halidai (Daniel Myers)