[Sca-cooks] 7th C tattoos

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 27 14:56:13 PDT 2002

Vitriol is sulfuric acid or any of several mineral sulfates (not just iron
sulfate) and a gall is the swollen part of a plant containing insect eggs,
not just the eggs themselves, so the translation is open to question without
the original to verify it.

Aetius of Amida is a 6th Century Byzantine physician who wrote a major
medical text.  He is credited with describing various opthomalic surgeries
and being one of the first to accurately describe diptheria.  He also wrote
on tattoos and their removal.

Keep in mind that the Latin for tattoo is "stigma" for "stain" or "mark."
It was used to describe the marks found on barbarians, slaves and convicts.
Because of the connotations, it is doubtful a "proper" Roman would have had
a tattoo.

Bear