[Sca-cooks] A question on Green Sauce

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 27 18:27:01 PDT 2002

Also sprach Susan Laing:
>Anyone know the keep-ability of Green Sauce (ie Herb Sauce)
>
>Can I make it two days in advance of an event and store in the fridge??
>
>Mari
>(working out her pre-prep schedule)

If it contains an acid, such as vinegar, you may find that it will
tend to blacken over time. This will vary according to which greens
or herbs you use (basil or mint will blacken quickly, parsley less
so, but it _will_ blacken), so you may want to omit it and add it
just before serving. You might puree your herbs in advance. A quick
blanching, just a coupla seconds, in salted, boiling water, then into
ice water to quickly cool it, finish cooking, and defuse the enzymes,
might be a good idea, then you can store your greens wrapped in a
towel or some other form of drainage, and puree them onsite. It's a
quick sauce to make...

I suspect this isn't an area where it's worth it to same time, if you
know what I mean...

Adamantius