[Sca-cooks] Icebox Fruitcake

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 18:08:18 PST 2002

The original of this was discovered by my Mother in the early sixties on the back of either a vanilla wafer box, or a can of condensed milk.  It's gone through a few changes since then.  It's definitely different from your everyday Claxton fruitcake.

Icebox Fruitcake

1 box vanilla wafers (crushed)

1 (7oz.) package flaked coconut

1 cup coarsley chopped nuts (pecan, walnut, or a mix)

1 small bottle marischino cherries

1 cup white raisins, dates, or dried figs (if using the dates or figs, chop coarsley)

1 can condensed milk (more or less)

Mix everything except the milk.  Add the milk, and mix well, making sure all the cooky crumbs are moistened.  Add more milk if necessary, but be careful.  You want the end result to be about the consistency of rice crispy marshmallow treats.  Pack into a sealable container, and refrigerate, at least 48 hours.  I've kept one in the fridge from Thanksgiving to New Year's without any noticeable affect, if well sealed.

Mordonna