[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Mon Nov 11 09:09:46 PST 2002

I am planning (well, dreaming about) an Elizabethan feast, and I ran the
menu past a vegetarian friend for comment.  She asked me whether all the
vegetarian dishes are sweet, because the vegetarians might feel like it
wasn't a full meal if all the dishes were sweet.

Well, the veg dishes I had planned were:

quelquechose (basically scrambled eggs)
bean cakes with figs, onions and sage
warm spinach sallet (with currants)
layered sallet (with a sweet/salty mix of olives, capers, dried fruit
    and nuts, layered with greens and sliced citrus)
onions on sops (contains raisins and a touch of sugar)
white pot (rice custard with currants)

... plus a bunch of actual dessert dishes.

So the only totally non-sweet dish is the quelquechose.  Now, when I
looked at the meat dishes, they're all slightly sweet too... many have
dried fruit and/or sugar and/or orange juice.  The only one that isn't
is a pickled herring salad.

So, my question is... does anyone have any recommendations for non-sweet
Elizabethan dishes, especially vegie ones?

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/