[Sca-cooks] fast days

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Nov 12 11:28:14 PST 2002

Yes there were 'fast days' when everybody fasted, there were also clergy
specific fast days, as well as vow fast days [personal option to fast for
penitence or thanks] and orders who 'perpetually' fasted.  So you could have
a feast day where a certain percentage of the population were fasting for
one reason or the other. Penitence was a major non-clergy fasting reason.

If you were a traveling cleric or lesser noble/merchant class and found
yourself in a manor on a feast day when for whatever reason you were
fasting, I would actually make the assumption that either you ate what you
could of the feast without asking for anything special, or you perhaps
arranged to eat in your rooms on something like bread, simple potage and
fruit with with either weak beer, wine or water.

I seriously doubt that any noble would listen to anybody demanding that they
be fed specially although if an overlord or seriously ranking member of the
clergy was on board, there would be a 'courtesy' adjustment [hence those
spiffy menus for weddings that had a fast day group of dishes that you
mention.]

margaili

the quote starts here:
> Thigs for feasts that are considered good [and if you are fasting, stay in
> your monastary and pray.]:

Considering how often EVERYONE had to fast, plus all the directions for
alternative fasting foods that come up in menus, I think this may be a
misrepresentation.