[Sca-cooks] Menu

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 19:15:09 PST 2002

Apologies if this is a duplicate; I've been having problems with
outgoing mail.

Since we've been discussing menus (vegetarian and otherwise),
here's mine for my upcoming feast.  It's late 16th-century Spanish.
The order of the foods is based on various period sources.  I have
attempted to make this a seasonal (winter) menu.  The one gray
area might be the gourds, but parts of Spain have a 12-month
growing season.  And since this is a royal progress event, I think
I'm justified in "sending" for foods from distant regions.

Bebidas (Drinks)
	Lemon water
	Pomegranate drink

Fruta (Fruit)
	Naranjas Dulces (sweet oranges)
	Higos a la Francesa (figs in the French style, simmered with wine and
spices)
	Pan (bread)
	Manteca de Vaca (butter)

Potaje (Pottage)
	Janete de Gallinas (sweet-and-sour hen)
	Torta de Zanahoria (carrot-cheese pie)

Assado (Roast)
	Carnero Assado (roast lamb)
		Salsa de Membrillos (quince sauce)
	Rellenos de Puerco (pork and cheese sausages)
	Habas Secas Cocidas (stewed fava beans)

Potaje (Pottage)
	Cazuela de Salmon (Salmon poached in verjuice with raisins, nuts,
sweet spices and herbs.
	Cazuela de Arroz en el Horno  (baked saffron rice garnished with egg
yolks)

Cocido (Boiled Dish)
	Puerco Cocido (boiled pork)
		Mostaza (mustard)
		Salsa del Zumo de Manzanas (spiced cider sauce)
	Calabazas Moriscas (Moorish-style gourds with onions and cheese

Fruta (Fruit)
	Aceitunas, nueces, queso, dulce de membrillo, dulces contados
(olives, walnuts, Manchego cheese, quince paste, assorted sweets)
	Chocolate, una bebida de las Indias (hot chocolate, a drink of the
Indies)

Comments?  Suggestions?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net