[Sca-cooks] Leftovers from Combat Cookery

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 21:18:28 PST 2002

Papa bragged about his leftovers.  Here is some of what we had:

Pork oven baked with a dry mead, savory herbs, garlic and shallots

Armored Turnips and Parsnips

Crisp Root Vegetables (beets, turnips, and parsnips) pickled in cider vinegar, honey, cinnamon, ginger, and mint.

Boiled eggs, peeled, then soaked in beet juice and vinegar, then cut into quarters

A most delectable lamb roast stuffed with pine nuts, almonds, savory, and rosemary, larded with pork fat, and basted with a wonderfully stout homemade mustard.  This was cooked in the beehive oven we built on site the day before, and came out perfectly crisp on the outside and medium rare and moist on the inside.  Magnifique!

Beet green braised in olive oil with garlic.

Green beans and peas in a sauce of cream and butter with salt and freshly ground peppercorns only for spices.

Oxtail pottage with barley, farina, garlic, shallots, and various savory herbs.

An herb bread

A Sweet bread with raisins

Pear fritters sprinkled with ground Mexican sugar

A Simple Sekanjabin (Cider vinegar, honey, and Mexican sugar boiled to a syrup, then mixed 5:1 with fresh water and chilled.  THEY called it a "Spur" but I knew it by it's true name)

Milk, cream, and honey with a touch of cinnamon served warm

The three points the judges mentioned as putting us over the top were:

1. We only used period cooking methods.  That is, no gas or propane stoves or ovens.  We built twin beehive ovens onsite the day and night before and had a fire pit with cast iron trivets for the pots.  We also had a fire ring, that we used only for making coals and heating the water for cleanup.  We used pecan wood for the cooking, with a bit of almond for a hot fire for finishing some of the dishes.

2. The very comely lady kneeling at each diner and offering warm, citrus scented water and hand made linen towels for hand and face washing

3. The beverages.  Beverage was one of the judging categories, but most of the other groups only served water.  We had not one, but two delicious beverages from the ingredients given us.  We considered a mint tea, also, but there was not enough of the mint for tea for six diners, so we used it in the pickle.

I am very proud of the team.  I think we did quite well.

Mordonna the Cook