[Sca-cooks] Nursing Homes - way OT and OOP

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Nov 19 05:52:02 PST 2002

I concur. I am heartily thankful that my parents [both born in 1923] are
hale and whole and live in their own home. My brother lives with them, but
it is more so that there is somebody to shovel the snow and move heavy items
than anything else.

When the time comes, Danny and I will see about geting in home health aids -
but we are hoping it never gets that bad. A quick clean death some night
while sleeping peacefully instead of an illness is god's gift.

What offends me as much as the nursing homes is the 'retirement condos'
where you pay 10s of thousands of dollars for a condo unit. There is a
nursing facility on site. If you get ill and go into the facility, you
almost NEVER get your unit back, it is sold to somebody else and you are
stuck in the nursing facility. I also object heartily to the fact that Rob
[my Lord Husband] and I would NOT be allowed to share a room and bed in a
nursing home. That is most heinous. Not that we want to bounce the mattress,
but share physical touch and comfort.

We won't even go near discussing the food. I have been to a few homes and
just from the smell of the dining areas I KNOW I don't want to go there.

MAybe we SHOULD start discussing some form of retirement facility, as a
non-profit group, don't we have the same right to run a facility as any
church or shriner-type organization? AS we are getting older as a group,
this is something we might consider [wasn't Akim talking about some sort of
residential faclity at his Glaedenfield site?]

amrgali

the quote starts here:
As part of my job, I help people escape nursing homes.  There is about 14%
of the nursing home population in the US that is below the age of 45.  When
you enter a nursing home, the institution is allowed to take all your
money, whether you are on SSI at $550/month, or higher source of income
such as $2000 from SSDI.  Nursing home inmates receive a very chic
$31/month for spending money.  Less than Federal prisoners get.

In general, the living conditions are nasty, at best.  If any of you have
been to a nursing home, you can identify the smell.  A putrid mixture of
stale urine, and despair.  Yes, you can smell the despair in the air.

Not to mention the food in there.  There's the old joke of kids telling
their parents that if they don't behave they'll put them in nursing home
where they won't get fed meat.  Not too far from the truth.  And not a lot
of food they get, where there are sometimes near riots when snacks get put
out.

A staff of mine who uses a wheelchair goes in the homes to meet with people
who expressed a desire to leave.  He was once forbidden to leave the
nursing home.  THey thought he was a resident.  The administrator wasn't
there, so the staff were keeping him.  He finally was able to leave.  But I
ask you, is it nursing home, or jail, where people there are not allowed to
leave?