[Sca-cooks] period appetizers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 24 00:00:24 PST 2002

THL Jared commented:

> The first course will consist of a variety of small meat, cheese and
> vegetable delicacies wrapped in pastry and fried, according to the
> fashion of Le Menagier de Paris, with flavored sauces made from
> carefully stored summer fruits for dipping.
>
> In the second course, we shall introduce your palette to somewhat
> sturdier fare of eggs, apples and cheese, seasoned with saffron,
> cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, along with small meat tidbits.
Ooh. These sound good. With the holiday season approaching, both

the American Thanksgiving and Yule, there are often many parties
and pot lucks and such. I often find these are good ways to
introduce folks to period foods.

Jared, can you give us the recipes for these pastry bits and sauces
from Le Menagier and your redactions? And perhaps for these seasoned
cheese/eggs/apples?

Anyone else have some good suggestions for period foods that would
make good party appetizers/finger foods?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com