[Sca-cooks] The Dietary Follies of the Season

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Nov 26 10:12:07 PST 2002

<waiting to hear Gunthar put an end to the thread  ;-)>

Well, what chaps my derriere is the id10ts who make all these pronouncements
about what the Atkins diet is and isn't, when they very plainly have not
even done him the courtesy of reading his book thoroughly. Case in point
[and having read pretty much all of the various plans involving carb
control...] is specifically what Dr Gupta on CNN said about it being limited
to 20 grams of carbs, when exceedingly prominently mentioned in Atkin's book
is that the restricted to 20 gr carb phase is a 2 week induction period,
after which you are to increase the number of carbs you consume in a
particular manner. Low carb is defined as any level under 100 gr/day. I
myself will range from 25 carbs [on a day when i am stuck in the office and
essentially do a shake for breakfast, lucnh and am too tired to bother doing
anything other than popping a shake open for dinner...] to about 65 carbs.
Of course, tehre aer days when I follow the menu concept and get home and
decide to have a heavily carb-y meal for dinner. My personal choice, and i
deal with the consequences without too much whinging about it...I lasped for
a period of most of the past year, but that was a work related issue more
than anything else, but in the few months i have been following it more
assiduously, I have lost enough real-not-water weight to make me take nips
in my pants-waists.

I am certain that in period despite all the nifty treatesis like Tacitum
Sanitas [aha, dragged back to period and food!!!] that people just as
blithely ignored the doctors telling them what they should be eating...and
combinin the wrong foods with the wrong humoral theory type;-)and I would be
more than willing to believe that there were people who would heatedly
discuss whether Hildeguard's dietary recommendations were all bunk compared
to Tacitum Sanitas...and some who still swore by Galen...grin

margali
desperately trying to convince IT that she NEEDS a local phone line not
hooked in through the regular phone system at her desk...and is planning on
picking up her new christmas/birthday present to herself of a laptop
specifically configured for EQ;-)

the quote starts here:
I'm lucky <weg>. My diet guidelines don't make me fuss with carbs. I
work to ensure I'm getting a good protein/carb/fat balance, with plenty
of fiber, and not too many calories, and let it go at that.  Gives me a
LOT more flexibility, which I really appreciate.
--Maire, still Evercrack-free, but leaning towards an evening of
computer hack-and-slash (Icewind Dale II), herself ;-P