[Sca-cooks] Leb'nin (was Re: Thank you to the SCA Cooks

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Nov 27 06:35:49 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bronwynmgn at aol.com>
> Hmmm. Perhaps you mean *Lebanon* bologna, which is made in my shire,
in
> Lebanon, PA?  (Which is, by the way, pronounced roughly "Leb'nin",
not like
> the country.)  Do you like the sweet or the regular?  I prefer sweet,
myself.

It's fun to see that other regions have adultrated Foreign place names
for their own use :o)  Here in the Deep South <tm>, we gots lots of
'em:

Turin                    Pronounced:  Turn
Vienna                                        Vye EN na
Cairo                                           KAY ro     (obligatory
food content, too!)
Buena Vista                                BYOO na Vista
Viadalia (Spain)                           Vye DAY ia  (L is optional)
Rome                                          Rome  (that one is
right)
Milan                                           MIL en
Senoia                                        Sen OY or Sen OH a
And others . . . .

It is fun to know out predecessors in GA had an appreciation for and
desire to stretch awareness of the Continent in 1800's and early 1900's.
 It is just amusing at times how they either did not know how to
pronounce the name in the first place, or lost the battle to language
drift or those who never travelled beyond the town, much less the
county.  Then the shifted pronunciation followed down through time.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco