Biochemistry (was Re: [Sca-cooks] First Turkey Jitters--Brine it!!)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Nov 27 06:56:40 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> Are you sure about this? It's been <ahem> years since my high-school
>biology class, but I thought water flowed from less osmotically dense
> solution across the membrane to the more osmotically dense solution.
<<<SNIP>>The effects on brining the turkey
> probably depend upon whether the solution is denser or less dense
> than the solution within the turkey cells. So, which is it?

Well, cell membranes are semi-permeable.  It isn't a free flow in both
directions all the time.  HERE STARTS MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE
BIOCHEMISTRY AS READ IN COOK'S ILLUSTRATED BOOK:

Osmotic pressure would transport the salt into the cell to homoeostatic
levels.  Now that the salt is in there (sodium), it will attract
moisture and reduce the loss of moisture by cells when heated.  This is
a similar effect Sodium has in our bodies IIRC . . . attracting moisture
and holding onto it.

Now, since this is a chain reaction from the first layer of cells to
the inner most, it can take quite a while for the outer layer to pass
along to the next cells, to the next cells, etc. until the outer ones
are saturated.  The inner tissue would theoretically have least salt at
end of brining, and outer ones the most.  The outer tissue would be most
likely to release moisture and the salt in its cells, so no overly salty
taste if the brine saturation (molality) is at the correct level.  IT'S
ALL ABOUT THE MOLES and Avogadro.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco