[Sca-cooks] carb hangovers

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Nov 27 07:18:29 PST 2002

Well, let me 'splain....no, it would take too long. Let me sum up...

Your body can process gluclse for energy, or ketones as energy. You get
glucose from breaking down prmarily carbs, but you can get some minor
glucose from anyhting that will break down and leave a chain of carbon,
hydrogen and oxygen molecules in the right sequence. You get ketones from
breaking down protein. When you start a low carb regime, you have to burn
the gluose in your bloodstream so you will shift to working from ketones
instead. Once you are used to working off ketones, shiifting back to glucose
will cause many people what feel like hangovers. Upset stomach, pounding
headach, general malaise. No amount of water and vitamines seems to help,
and if you try to use analgesics you may end up with a rebound headach worse
than when you started.

On all of the low carb lists I am or have been on, most people will report
that they feel crappy and flu-like in the week or so it takes to burn off
the glucose and kick start the ketone burning, effectively like what many
natural foodies call 'detox' symptoms. They also report hangover like
symptoms when indulging in an excess of carbs.

No idea why, other than an influx of some break-down product or another
working its way out of your system. I do know that I as well as many other
apocryphically feel more energy physically and mentally ona low carb regime,
as well as losing the weight. Many other people also report a lessening of
chronic illnesses that may be linked to dietary sensitivities. YMMV;-0

margali

the quote starts here:
This is the second time you've alluded to this "carb hangover" in the

past few days. Do you mean you actually get physical symptoms after
being on a low carbohydrate diet for a while and then suddenly eating
a bunch of carbohydrates? Do you get these, or different, symptoms
when you've been on a normal/high carbohydrate diet and switch to
a low carbohydrate diet?
--
THLord Stefan li Rous