[Sca-cooks] brawn by another name

Jill Koski jillksk24 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 28 18:24:31 PST 2002

Sounds like what was called sulz, sultz, or sulze in
eastern Wisconsin in a heavily German, Bohemian and
Polish-descended area.

Lady Johanna de Swynford, briefly de-lurking

Sounds suspiciously like what is made and sold in the Dutch
Fork as
Souse M=
eat.
Mordonna
 Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:

------------------------------------------snip-----------------------------=
-----------------------------
Modern Braun/Brawn, at least in my family, is a very
different beast
from t=
he period recipes I have seen - I suppose the best
description is a
meat ba=
sed aspic made from boiling bits of pigs (mum used to use a
pigs head).
It =
ends up like a really solid jelly with lots of meaty bits
in it, that
you s=
lice and make sandwiches from. (sample recipe below) I can
see how this
dev=
eloped from the medieval Brawn, being the meat of boar in
recipes such
as B=
rawn en Peuerade.---