[Sca-cooks] herbal/plant question

ariann ariann at nmia.com
Sat Nov 2 09:11:35 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> So, what is "Burdock"? Waverly Root doesn't list this in _Food_.

It's my understnading that burdock is native to Europe, North America and
Asia.  I think the Iriquois have burdock recipes (but I don't).  I think the
Chinese have it, but I don't have any info.  The Japanese call burdock
"gobo" and it's used extensively in cooking:

mukimono (in period, ancient art of garnishing): sasagaki or shaving cut and
ran-giri the oblique cut.

osechi-ryori (current new yr's day food) kinpira gobo, the most common
japanese gobo dish; braised gobo strips; and nimono, gobo braised with
shiitake, carrots and taro.

kaiseki ryori and honzen ryori (in period) gobo was probably used as
mukimono in period for the three side dishes that accompanied the soup
(misoshiru).  I did a quick consult in chanoyu and found mastuba mukimono,
so the sasagaki and ran-giri mukimono are probably there too.  I'll get back
to you on it.

shojin ryori (in period, temple food) gobo was used in vegetable dishes and
salads.

gobo are long skinny roots.  They are sweet and crunchy like water
chestmuts. They keep in the fridge for about a week. Only peel them as you
need them.  Put them in cold water as you peel them to keep them from
turning brown.  If you keep them too long in the fridge, peel them and put
them in ice water.  They will get crisoy enough to eat.

go gobo

Ariann