[Sca-cooks] Ozzies: What is freekeh

Mark Calderwood mark-c at acay.com.au
Sat Nov 2 22:53:28 PST 2002

At 01:29 3/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyway, this was all a pretty big hit (first course). I just got in a
>little while ago, and have done a web search for this green wheat
>product which seems mostly to be known as freekeh, and may in fact be
>a product of Australia.

Freekeh (also known as ferique and farika) is a grain harvested from green,
immature durum wheat. It's a traditional food of the Middle East and
northern Africa, especially Egypt. In the recipes I have it seems to have
been used mainly as a stuffing or accompaniment to chicken and poultry
dishes, but I've also seen it used instead of burgul in kibbeh. It's
currently being grown and marketed by a South Australian company whose
major markets include Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE and Bahrain.
Their website is  www.greenwheatfreekeh.com.au .

Giles