[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Nov 3 04:28:46 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/2/2002 7:09:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doc at medievalcookery.com writes:

> Are there any versions of this recipe available other than the one in
> Forme of Curye?

There have got to be, because I've had ones with cheese in, but the recipe I
usually use doesn't have cheese.
Yeah, the FOC one has cheese.
OH, now that's interesting!  I just checked the one I usually use, which  is
the redaction in the first edition of Pleyn Delit.  They say the original
they give IS from FOC, but it totally leaves out the "erbis", and changes the
"bray grene chese in the mortar" to "bray brede in the mortar"!
Yep.  Just checked the Pegge translation in Cariadoc's manuscripts - that's
the one they used for Pleyn Delit.  The Curye on Inglysch one is far more
likely to be correct.  Which is a darn shame, because I LIKE the recipe
without cheese in it!

A quick scan of a few of my other books did not show any other versions of
that recipe.

Which version  do you have - the Pegge, or the Curye on Inglysch?  If you'd
like the COI one, I could type it in for you.

Brangwayna Morgan