[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Sun Nov 3 17:16:31 PST 2002

I don't know of an ember day tart recipe that doesn't contain cheese, but here are the two I used for a redaction class I ran:

1.Tart in Ymbre day
(Curye on Inglysch, Forme of Cury compiled 1390)
 Take and perboile oynoun & erbis & presse out the water & hewe her smale. Take grene chese & bray it in a morter, and temper it up with ayren. Do therto butter, safroun & salt, & raisouns corouns, & a litel sugur with powdour douce, and bake it in a trap, & serue it forth.

2. Tart on Ember-Day
(Ancient Cookery 356, 448/38c 1381)
 Parboyle onions, and sauge, and parsel, and hew hom small, then take gode fatte chese, and bray hit, and do therto egges, and tempur hit up therwith, and do therto butter and sugur, and raisynges of corance, and pouder of ginger, and of cannell, medel all this well togedur, and do hit in a coffyn, and bake it uncoveret, and serve hit forthe.