[Sca-cooks] regalia

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Nov 5 17:23:01 PST 2002

    Ahhh . . . permanent fealty as a Pelican . . .? That's a new one on me,
as it'll be a warm day in Niffelheim before I ever swear fealty again.
Fealty is one of those highly functional medieval concepts which has been
moved to a quasi-cult status by the SCA. No thank you, been beat over the
head with it, had it used as a weapon against me, never again. The chain
from which I hang my (old corporate) medallion is a tarnished silver upon
which a few flecks of the old gold coating may yet be seen. Symbolism enough
for me . . .

    Sieggy

Molto Snippo

>My alternate/kitchen persona is 16th Century German so it is entirely
appropriate for me to wear strand upon strand of heavy gold chains.  I do
so. a) I am in permanent fealty as a Pelican, and b) they are closed linked
chains not open linked.  What is the difference I hear you ask?  Open linked
chains have more air than chain, and close linked have more chain than air.
Funnily enough no Knight has ever asked me to take them off... <grin>

>Mind you, I eventually developed my own solution to the whole "only Knights
can wear fealty chains" issue, and now sell Lochac Fealty chains, designed
especially to provide Laurels, Pelicans, Knights and Royal Peers in
permanent fealty a public reflection of that very personal oath.
http://kiriel.tripod.com/medallions.html if you want to take a peek.