[Sca-cooks] Fava beans

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 7 07:21:11 PST 2002

Look for Ful Medammes. The spelling may vary a bit - it is, after all, a
transliteration. Or just Egyptian fava beans. The skins are still a tad
chewier than on other beans, but you can and do  eat them. They're not
that easy to find, though, outside Egyptian neighborhoods. (You can
count on them, there, though - ful is considered the national dish of
Egypt!)

Oh, and, ful...

You take the canned (or cooked *G*) beans and mash them up in a skillet
with lots of olive oil, garlic, and then a squeeze of lemon. Enough
cooking liquid to make it a bit soupy. Serve with pita.  It's eaten all
day, but is particularly traditional for breakfast. No, I don't have a
"real recipe"... I learned it by watching my friend, he learned by
watching his mother... it's one of those dishes!

Anne