[Sca-cooks] In a Caliph's Kitchen

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Nov 10 22:32:37 PST 2002

 Was written:

> A while back, i offered to post some recipes from In a Caliph's
> Kitchen, by David Waines.
>
> I no longer remember what sorts of recipes were wanted by the
> original poster of the thread to which i was responding. ISTR, it was
> pre-12th century. There are close to 50 recipes in the book, although
> some (most?) are later than 12th century.

I've a copy of this book as well.  I've compared a number of the
translations provided with those in the "The Baghdad Cookery Book".  The
translation used in each case was the same.  That being said I would suggest
reviewing the translation of the recipe to be used first and then compare it
to David Waines redaction to see if you agree.  If do not then I suggest
that you use his translation as a spring board for your own efforts.  By the
way this book appears to be out of print and generally unavailable at any
reasonable price, a friend of mine looked to no avail for a copy in London
for his wife... so if you find a copy cheap snap it up.

Daniel Raoul