[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 11 12:51:04 PST 2002

> However, she can eat seafood, dairy and eggs.
> - she wants "main" dishes, not just "sides" ... something to make her
>   feel like she's getting as much to eat as the meat-eaters.
> My challenge now is to find Elizabethan dishes that fit that
> caving in to the demands of a minority at the expense of the majority,
> but because I think it would be an interesting project to put together a
> tightly-themed feast that appeals to as wide a range of tastes as possible
> and showcases some uncommon types of dishes.

Greetings,

I believe that you might have answered your own question on this one. You
need to find an Elizabethean fish/seafood dish to replace one of your meat
dishes so that the vegs are eating the same entree at one of the courses.

I am uncertain what sources are "Elizabeathan" but I am always running
across recipits for fish, lobster, crab, oysters, eel ...... The Robert May
book (tho late 17th cen) is chock full of interesting things to do to
crustaceans. I have served salmon at one feast, & I know that another gentle
here on the list has done the same.

If the main thrust of your event is the food & you are going to have a high
feast budget, some of these "luxury" items could be fun.

Just a thought,
Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva