[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 11 12:55:51 PST 2002

> - too many sweet dishes... wouldn't feel like a "complete" meal unless
>   balanced by more savoury dishes.
> - she wants "main" dishes, not just "sides" ... something to make her
>   feel like she's getting as much to eat as the meat-eaters.  This means
>   protein and starches, as well as stuff that is presented well rather
>   than just slopped onto a plate.
>
> My challenge now is to find Elizabethan dishes that fit that

Hm... Part of the problem is that your target audience is classifying
anything with a sweet ingredient in it as 'sweet'. I looked at spinach
with currants and the bean cakes and saw them as non-sweet despite the
presence of fruits. But then, I put pineapple chunks in my stir-fry too.

I would suggest looking for more carbohydrate vegetarian dishes. Finding
dishes without a single sweet ingredient from the Elizabethan period...
hm.. that should be an adventure...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_