[Sca-cooks] Embroidered table linens again

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 16:55:17 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/9/2002 10:47:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

> "The table is covered by a white tablecloth with blue embroidery.
> Plates, decanters, glasses, saltcellars and knives are carefully
> arranged in front of each table-guest, as are the bread and cherries. It
> might even be the realistic and serene representation of a Florentine
> table of the period."
> from the description...
> Take a look at the linen bands at the end of the tables. If you can find
> the work in an actual book enlarged as a two page spread, it's quite
> apparent that there are dragons between the bands.

But is this embroidery, or is it the "Perugia towels" (most of which aren't
towels at all) weaving technique which were covered in a Complete Anachronist
sometime in the last few years?  I recall those being described as white with
blue designs on the ends, some containing motifs such as dragons.

I would think in a painting it would be very difficult to tell if the design
was woven in or embroidered.

Brangwayna