[Sca-cooks] Forks dated 1526

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 20:42:16 PST 2002

Johnnae llyn Lewis commented:
> While doing some background research in Italian sources, I came across
> the following item that should be of interest to at least Stefan for his
> files--- The article and item are not cited as far as can be determined
> in the Florilegium or in Thomas Gloning's files.

<snip>
Yes, this is the kind of info I like to have for the Florilegium. And
thank you checking beforehand as to whether it was already detailed
in the Florilegium or not. I don't have time to check out every
reference and message, so sometimes duplicates do slip in.

The non-chalant way the fork is mentioned in this quote makes it sound
like dinner forks may well have been in fairly common usage, at
least by the upper class of this time. But this does give a working
point for when they first showed up in print documentation, so we
know they are at least this old.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com