[Sca-cooks] Re: Vegetarian politics aside.....

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 12 06:19:34 PST 2002

<philip> I did, however, have an idea for a modern "illusion food" for those
who
> would like their plate to look like that of the person next to them- how
> about battering and deep frying a brocolli spear? I think, with a little
> playing, you could have it come out looking pretty much like a chicken
leg.
> If thet're doing battered fried chicken, it wouldn't be much trouble to
add
> in some broccoli spears.

Greetings,

Watching a great deal of modern FoodTV as I am wont to do I have come across
many recipies for catering to vegitarians. Things that seem to be good and
palatable as "main" dishes seem to frequently involve those giant mushroom
caps (like portabellas) marinated & grilled and served like a hamburger
patty. Another thing that can be very vegitarian is various filled pastas,
like canollis. Filled with spinach onions and mushrooms and then baked in a
sauce (you have to watch this here - depending on the sect you can run into
problems with a cream sauce) can be hearty & filling.

In Sabina Welserin there is a recipie for spinach raviolis. It calls for
spinach & cheese or spinach & chicken. I have done a version for a good lady
(that contacted me ahead of time) that was just spinach & chicken because of
a lactose issue. I can't see why you couldn't just do a spinach version.

As far as your faux chicken leg idea, again you have to be careful. One of
my sister's friends would consistantly grill our waiters when we went out to
eat. She loved fried zuccini, but refused to eat it if it was fried in the
same oil as the ubiquitous chicken finger. So, as long as you had a
completely seperate container of cooking oil, and your battering technique
did not involve eggs you should be fine.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva