[Sca-cooks] buying meat was vegetarian

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Nov 12 08:14:47 PST 2002

    Ummm. I wait for sales, and can get some great deals. I got Boston Pork
Butts for 69 cents a pound, can get chicken breasts for 99/lb regularly,
chicken leg quarters for 29/lb, 99/lb beef briskets (regular price) at
Wal-Mart, and so forth. If you have a freezer, you can stock up at
incredibly low prices.
    Something I REALLY don't understand is that if meat production is so
gawd-awful inefficient, why does meat cost less per pound than just about
any fruit or vegetable I can find? Right now (and this is supposed to be
harvest season, right?), corn is going for 50/ear, broccoli & cauliflower
for 1.49/lb, artichokes just make me gulp when I see them trying to get 2.49
each, red and yellow peppers are going for 2.49 each as well, and this is in
SW florida, which is a major producer of truck vegetables.
    If the market is a true reflector of cost / value, why is meat (an
extremely labor intensive food) less expensive than something that comes out
of the ground, gets picked, put in a box, then sold?

    Sieggy