[Sca-cooks] reheating Rice

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Nov 12 09:06:59 PST 2002

At 11:38 AM 11/12/2002, you wrote:
>part of the problem is HOW the rice is reheated.......
>to what temperature
>and how cooked was it in the first place.

As I pointed out in the past, there are some really BIG health issues in
the concept of re-heating rice, especially if you can't do it properly,
which is often the case with large batches.

As per an early August thread, "Simple pleasures OOP", Avraham was kind
enough to remind us of the "nasties"

<<you are thinking of a bacterium called _Bacillus cereus_, which
is a spore-forming organism. It produces two toxins. One is heat- and
acid-labile (i.e. breaks down under heat or acid treatment) which causes
diarrhea 6-24 hrs after exposure, and one which is extraordinarily
heat-stable, as well as resistant to acid and digestive enzymes, which
causes vomiting in 1-6 hours. (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
43(10):1994 Mar 18)>>

Please, be careful.  And I'm not even thinking about flavour/texture here.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies
mka