[Sca-cooks] freezing was pomegranite question

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 07:42:49 PST 2002

Oh, yes there is... I'll get you the contact info the next time I see
them. (Which might be tomorrow... at the local Greenmarket, if I can get
there.) That's New York County, of course... in Westchester,  look under
Cornell University. They're usually listed under the Land Grant School
with which they are affiliated.

I am the former President of the Advisory Council to the Hudson County
branch of the Rutgers Cooperative Extension... A big part of my job was
to go to State Council meetings  and stand up and say "As representative
of the only entirely urban county in the State of New Jersey, I would
like to remind you that in the cities, we..." The other big cities had
councils dominated by their suburbs, so director of the NJ Extension got
me into the State Council (I was on the Board,  Corresponding Secretary,
I think... this was years ago) to act as a de facto representative for
Newark, Paterson, Trenton, etc., as well as my own Jersey City.

Now, their mission is a bit different in big cities. Our agent, whose
title was Home Economist, used to joke that she was glad I was a cook,
because she isn't - she's a nutritionist. Here, they're not terribly
interested in teaching people how to can and freeze,  etc. They are
interested in helping people on severely  limited budgets get the most
food value for their dollar, plan balanced meals, put cheap delicious
nutritious food on the table. We did presentations in public spaces made
available by local hospitals, etc., on Soup, Vegetables ("Yes, here are
a whole lot of things you can do with carrots that are fast, easy, and
really taste good. I personally recommend baking - they don't get mushy
and are amazingly sweet. And you can't beat the nutritional bang for the
buck. Here, have a taste!") etc. And yes, food safety is a real
concern... I didn't do presentations on that, we had leaflets.

Anne