[Sca-cooks] Other sources for non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Wed Nov 13 10:27:46 PST 2002

The Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) is a North American tuber.
It would probably have arrived no earlier than 1585, contemporary with the
establishment of England's first colony in North America.

As I recall, it is mentioned in Thomas Hariot's "A Brief & True Report of
the New Found Land in Virginia," 1588.

Bear