[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 11:22:58 PST 2002

Complete Anachronist #1, the very first issue, was all about period eyeglasses.
They were hideous but they were period!  I've made a conscious decision not to
attempt them, but then again I painfully admit that I don't try hard enough.

In the SCA we seem to have a tacit agreement that any device or clothing used
for health purposes Is Not Seen.  This includes items from eyeglasses to modern
wheelchairs to medicine inhalers.  As our population ages, and it's doing so
even as we speak, there will be more instances of such.  This will be a
difficult personal decision time for the most authenticity-conscious amongst
us.  To choose an example familiar to this list:  if Duke Cariadoc is ever
confined to a wheelchair [may Allah forbid such calamity!], will he quit
participating in the SCA?  I dearly hope not, for he has much to contribute
besides his purely authentic presentation.  As does each and every one of you.

Selene Colfox