[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 13 12:46:22 PST 2002

> Very few people in the Middle Ages were vegetarians by choice. There are
> aescetics and hermits, some orders of monks are veg or nearly so, there are
> a few heretical sects that are partly veg (the Cathars, for instance, but
> even they have a sliding scale). And there are a few fast days, and
> penetential fasts.

Actually, even if you only count 40 days of Lent and 12 days of Ember
days, plus Wednesdays & Fridays, those work out to over 35% of the days in
the year. So, I think that you have to say there were more than 'a few
fast days'.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_