[Sca-cooks] Interesting Idea for a Challenge

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 17:41:28 PST 2002

--- Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:
> --
> [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative
> ]
> In Atlantia, the following challenge was held
> at Cattle Raids in September 2002.  This might
> be fun to have at other events to help people
> get a smoother start into the SCA.
>
> I'd love to hear what people might do for a
> challenge like this.  Any ideas for creating
> really frugal feast gear?
>
> Sharon
> gordonse at one.net

How do you define feast gear?

Thrift stores. Or swap meets.  Or a really cheap
antique store. [Although the latter are rare.] I
have purchased Armentale plates, goblets, and
bowls for a couple of bucks each.  Same with
silverware.  Same for a good tablecloth with
napkins.  If you want to get more elaborate, you
can also get candlesticks etc. also.

If you want wooden feast gear, then buy new at
CostPlus.  I usually don't trust how used wooden
plates were treated or used.  I suppose if you
have woodworking skills, then buying used plates
could be cheaper, if you are willing to sand them
and refinish them.

I could probably buy an Armentale plate, bowl and
goblet at a thrift store for about $10.  The
table cloth with napkins for another $10.  A good
silverware place setting for $5.  Total: $25.00

Huette, who has haunted thrift stores and antique
stores for decades.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.