[Sca-cooks] Menu

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Nov 14 08:53:40 PST 2002

    Actually, I have been agitating for a long time to change the sequence
from court first, then feast to feast, then court. The majority of feasts I
have attended have suffered severely from the 'drag-ass court syndrome',
where the food comes out dry, cold, etc. As a feastcrat, I have thrown pink
and purple fits because court got started an hour late, ran an hour over,
and then the crowns just disappeared and the autocrat didn't want to start
feast without them . . .
    There are many advantages to reversing the order. First, the food
quality will not suffer from excessive delays, and you're far more likely to
get people to attend feast simply because the food will come out hot, moist,
tasting like it should. The daytrippers who are accustomed to leaving right
after court and hitting a restaurant on the way home are a lot more likely
to attend feast as well, and maybe they'll actually stay on site and attend
bardics . . .
    The Crowns (and the servitors) get a chance to eat and wind down a bit
after what was probably a long and fairly hectic day before having to deal
with court. The Heralds have more time to finish all their paperwork and
prepare scrolls before court. It's a LOT easier and less hectic to convert
the hall for court after feast than it is to set up for feast after court.
(no people trying to put their feast baskets on the tables you're trying to
set up). You also avoid the 'pig out on the bread and cheese' difficulty.
And if court runs late then, who cares? You've eaten, you're relaxed, and
when it's over, you can go party.
    In short, I think shifting the sequence would make for a vast
improvement over the current system, and make the event far more enjoyable
for just about everybody.

    Sieggy