[Sca-cooks] non-sweet Elizabethan dishes

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:52:46 PST 2002

Actually, into the 18th century dishes were either meats, desserts (little
light palate-clearing things) or sides.  Sides could be veggie or starch,
savoury or sweet.  Yes, in the past, meat was considered better than
vegetables, therefore it will be more difficult to cater a feast for
vegetarians than for not if you are using period receipts.  How far the cook
wants to go to accomodate those with dietary concerns is up to the cook;
those with dietary concerns need to let the cook know, but should not take
offense if they cannot eat everything that is served.  I personally loathe
lentils, but I don't expect the cook to not make a lentil dish if he wants
to.  That's the joy of wealthy dining in history---lots of choices so
everyone gets enough to eat of things he likes.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson