[Sca-cooks] Actual Historic Feast Menus

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 15 10:07:24 PST 2002

I can think of two sources that people might use and don't--

Benporat, Claudio. Feste e banchetti. 2001.
Also his Cucina Italiana del Quattrocento, 1996, 2001.
(An original contemporary account in Italian of 'lanie's wedding banquet
menu that was mentioned on the list earlier this fall appears in
Benporat.)

Another is the following:
A Collection of ordinances and regulations for the government of the
Royal household,
made in divers reigns, from King Edward III to King William and Queen
Mary. Also receipts in ancient cookery.
which was published by the Society of Ant. in 1790. It was filmed in
1975 as part of the History of Women Collection. The book was reprinted
in 1970.

There are a number of menus that can be found in various published
archival records. They require access to a collection that owns them and
someone willing to put the time in to bring them to the light of day.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway