[Sca-cooks] Period vegetarianism, 'Lainie looses her cool

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 17:29:29 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/12/2002 11:04:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> in period my persona may not have been a vegetarian.  but if, for whatever
> reason, *I* am a vegetaria what then???.... so i should violate my
> ethics...
> morals... and maybe my allergies.. to eat meat? i dont think so.

Where did anybody say that?  Nobody said you had to eat a feast that does not
suit your requirements to stay in persona.  I know any number of people who
don't eat feast because they are self-admitted picky eaters, and THEY don't
b***h and moan that the cook didn't make their favorite food.  They just make
arrangements to go out for dinner, or they bring their own.  In period,
people brought their own cooks with them when they visited, or didn't attend
a meal they couldn't eat, or attended but politely refused food.
I don't fight, because I have no interest in it.  Should I be complaining
because most of the activity at the event I CHOSE to go to is fighting?  No.
I should either choose not to go to that event, or I should bring something
to do if I choose to go.  I should not be demanding that the event organizers
provide some other activity to entertain me.

Laine was talking about the fact that what we are supposed to be doing in
this Society is attempting to recreate the Middle Ages.  Those of us who
actually believe that, and who are cooks, are trying to recreate a period
meal for those that want to eat it.  No one is required to eat at any feast;
there have already been examples given of people with multiple food allergies
who bring their own food, people who bring their own food because they don't
like the menu, and people who go out to eat for whatever reason.

No one is *entitled* to be able to eat food provided by the event at any
event.  The meals are provided as a service, a perq as it were.  I've been to
events where no food at all was offered.  Most of us try to set up our meals
to try to accomodate s many people as we can withut compromising our goal of
a medieval meal too much.  People should be thanking us for making the
effort, not complaining that we can't accomodate every desire.

Brangwayna Morgan
who should apparently be joining Laine in the "cranky room" at the Rock.