[Sca-cooks] period spectacles

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Nov 18 17:53:22 PST 2002

At 05:22 PM 11/18/02 +1100, you wrote:
>Now you have gone and pushed a button.... period spectacles is one of my
"things".

Oy vey...

>There is almost no sight I despise more than the sight of someone
wandering the tourney field wearing flourescent pink wraparounds.  If
someone speaks to them, most say that they are wearing them for medical
reasons.

Yeha, riiight. Medical sunglasses generally don't look like that. At least
not the ones I've seen for post-cataract patients, etc. I think they just
want to look 'cool', and don't care that we think it's stupid.

I damaged my retinas at an outdoor event more than ten years ago- too much
sun now and the world looks like an overexposed photo- mostly white. But
you know, I've discovered that an opaque white veil, pulled down to the
eyebrows, does nearly as good a job as sunglasses for the worst of the glare.

>I have a personal goal to try and find commercial frames that are as close
to period in style as possible, so that I, and others can use them.  I am
not attempting to make glasses, as I am doing a thousand other things with
my time.

My current frames are wire, sort of a tortiseshell finish- pretty
nondescript. When I win the lottery maybe I'll have some made for events,
but it would have to wait till then, as my Rx is outrageous enough that it
will be pretty expensive to do (+5.50, with astigmatism, both eyes, last
time I was in).

However, I don't really _see_ glasses. I guess becasue I've worn corrective
lenses of some sort since 1967. If you're wearing some of those awful Sally
Jessy glasses, yeah, I'll notice. Ordinary wire rims? doesn't register.
Neither to braces. Now, lack of proper headwear (hat, veil, headdress),
_that_ I notice. Nothing looks sillier that a full Elizabethan with a mound
of teased/sprayed mall hair, the bangs doing the spiky thing in front.
*shudder* And I'm tired of the "I just hate wearing something on my head"
stuff. If the only time you do it is for your wedding, yeah, it's pretty
uncomfortable. But if you practice wearing the headdress, and if it's made
right, it shouldn't be a problem. And...

Oops. The soapbox just made a cracking noise- probably under the weight of
my rhetoric...

crawling back to my bed...

'Lainie