[Sca-cooks] period spectacles

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Nov 18 15:14:08 PST 2002

Johanna,

What I've done, and will continue to do, it use my last pair of lenses,
which are usually nearly OK for normal use - a bit scratched, and only a
little, or not at all, off my current prescription. I then get the optical
people to reshape them for my reenactment lenses - last time it cost me
under AUS$20 (about the cost of a main meal at an average restaurant here).
The frames are leather, hand-made by my husband, held on by cord, so it was
a fairly cheap exercise. Next time I get new lenses (which has to be before
the end of this year), I'll do the same, and upgrade to a pair of pewter
frames held by cord, as we've started doing pewterwork at home.

A couple of friends of mine have chosen their frames carefully - brushed
silver metal frames with round lenses, for their everyday glasses, so they
can wear them at reenactment events without looking odd, and not need two
pairs.

Glenda.