[Sca-cooks] hats, andperiod spectacles

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 11:33:04 PST 2002

>At 12:19 PM 11/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >> i am still getting used to wearing head dresses.......
> >> it does take some practice for people in our modern society...
> >
> >Not only that-- but while wearing hats is period for most people in most
> >time periods, there are certainly times and places and people during our
> >period who would be wearing hats only when the weather required it.
>
>Could you give some examples? From  what I have seen that would be by far
>the exception.

Hey, I'm 9th century Welsh/Saxon tinker/trader basic peasant.  I wear pants
sometimes, shorter dresses (or longish tunics) with or without a long
underdress, combination colours not all of them dull, and skirts and
blouses, all with or without shoes (that apparently don't have to match ;) )
  The one thing I *do not* have to wear is something on my head!  And yes,
being widowed for nigh on way too long, I can wear my hair down.

> >Wouldn't it be nicer if the hat-advocates would say something like "I
>wish
> >more people would wear hats that go with their personas and outfits, I
>see
> >so many outfits that would look so much more period with a hat or
> >headcovering..."
>
>Implicit, I would have thought, as the hat is _part_ of the outfit, just as
>much (or more so) than belt, jewelry, etc.

I also don't wear jewelry much, unless I am hawking it!

>'Lainie
Olwen