[Sca-cooks] hats, andperiod spectacles

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Nov 19 12:34:26 PST 2002

Yeah, that explanation sounds a bit too contrived.  It might be
relatively easy to verify though since there are period manner guides
as well as listings of what was served at a table.

I suspect though that it has more to do with physiology.  If I hold my
hand as if I were holding a can of Coke in front of me, when the axis
of the can is horizontal and perpendicular from my body (as when
drinking, the bottom of the can pointing away from the face)  then
everything seems as expected, but when the axis of the can is vertical
(with my thumb on the side facing me and the back of my hand facing
away) then I feel a very slight pull on the little finger.

Of course it could all be psycho-somatic (or related to tendonitis I
had many years ago), and I'd love to have a physiologist's opinion.

How it would have come to be a matter of etiquette though is a real
stumper.