[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Nov 19 20:06:49 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/19/2002 10:34:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rcmann4 at earthlink.net writes:

> I understand that apple cider can be frozen.  Can it be frozen in the
> plastic jugs?  Or will it expand too much and burst the container?

Often it does.. sometimes it just pops the top of the container. If it's
sweet cider, I suggest using two jugs to avoid this. This seems to be the
best course. If it's natural cider, with the solids in it, they're going to
separate, but this is seldom a big problem. If it's hard cider, and you're
freeze distilling, and you live in the U.S.... officially I'd say don't do
it, the Feds frown on it ::innocent look:: but if you WERE (hypothetically)
to do it I'd say use a bowl so you can chip out the liquid core.... See what
you started? <G>

Hope this helps...

Corwyn (Who didn't get any hard cider this year (pout)

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)