[Sca-cooks] First Turkey Jitters

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 25 06:40:45 PST 2002

You asked for advice. OK- Make sure the bird fits in your oven. Make
sure that you have a roaster and roasting racks that will fit the bird.
Don't stuff it. The last huge one I roasted I did by splitting it and
roasting it flat. You don't get a presentation bird for the table, but
it worked really well for our family. If you need some websites and
recipes, I can supply those.

For everyone who's interested in food science and cooking--

Science Friday on NPR on 11/22 ran a program with Harold McGee
*Author, On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen and
Peter Barham
*Author of The Science of Cooking (Springer, 2001).
You can listen to what they have to say about roasting birds and the
difficulties of large birds at:
http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.jhtml?prgId=5&prgDate=current

The Food Network has been running programs on cooking for the feast all
week. Some of those have been entertaining. And CBS Sunday morning did
an entire prohram on foods and feasting.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis