[Sca-cooks] OOP - Turkey, again!

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 15:35:23 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/24/2002 10:50:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
generys at blazemail.com writes:

> Well, this year I'm having my inlaws over... <grumble grumble> so I'm doing
> a full turkey rather than just a breast - brine first, then stuff
> rosemary-and-thyme herbed butter under the skin, and roast with
> carmelized-onion, bacon and apple stuffing.  (snip of the remainder of what
> sounds splendid!)

I'll be going to my in-laws this year.  My in-laws (nor my own parents for
that matter) are not much for very fancy cooking.  We'll be having turkey
liberally rubbed with sage, some variant on bread stuffing, mashed potatos,
sweet potatos baked in casserole with butter and marshmallows over the top, a
rice/cheese/broccoli casserole, the ubiquitous green bean casserole, and my
father-in-law's homemade cranberry relish, which is easily the most elaborate
part of the meal.

Were we going to my parents, we would be having turkey roasted plain with a
bread stuffing including onions, salt, celery leaves, parsley, melted butter
and egg which is cooked inside the bird (except for what doesn't fit, to
which we add some pan drippings when we put it in the oven), mashed potatos
or baked sweet potatos (my mom gave up candying them years ago, since she
always managed to burn the sugar), broccoli, canned cranberry jelly, probably
a simple green salad, and cheesecake for desert.

Neither is fancy, but they are traditional to each family, and I daresay
Thanksgiving isn't quite right without the standard menu, for either family.

Brangwayna
PS, I will most likely be responsible for Christmas dinner at my parents'
house this year, as my mother will have just had her knee replaced two weeks
before.  To that end, we will be baking Christmas cookies on Thanksgiving
weekend - butter cookies rolled very thin and decorated, pecan sandies,
frosty fruit bars, which are a spicy dough with dried fruit, and probably
chocolate chips - and freezing them.  Mom gets to decorate for the first time
in forever this year; she usually rolls the cookies and I decorate, but she
can't stand on her bum knee long enough to roll them.